Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Magic-al Mystery Trip


So it's been a while since I've played Magic: The Gathering but that doesn't mean I've forgotten the joys of the game.

My sweetheart and I were early devotees of this delightful and complex card game, we found it was a wonderful mixture of strategy and cool art with some good aspects of D&D. We bought all of the expansion sets, we have more boosters then you can shake a stick at. So why did we stop playing? I think it sort of got to the point where there were so many new sets coming out, we couldn't keep up. I swear it seemed like Wizards of the Coast was spewing them out every five minutes! I felt the pressure to make my decks bigger, stronger, faster. I tried all of these new combos to no avail. What I did find that was that my original decks, those made with the simplest of tactics, where always the most effective in play. I was getting away from the basic strategies by wanting to try all of the cool text on the new cards.

When our pal approached us about playing a game with a black theme I was thrilled. Why? Because there were concrete rules yet kept some things up to the controller's imagination. So now I'll compile a deck full of lovely old timey cards with maybe a few new ones thrown in. Time to haul out some rarities... A little All Hallow's Eve, anyone? :D

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you ask nice maybe I will let you borrow All Hallow's Eve...

The most fun I had playing Magic was when we first started and only had a small amount of cards. As time went and we kept adding more and more cards I kept having less and less fun. It became a race to have the latest rare cards. I look forward to dusting off what we have for a little Halloween competition...

Wa said...

And what I liked was kicking people's butts who had all the rare cards and power combos... Me and my deck of mostly commons. Scryb Sprites for the win!

Annette said...

I remember when we got the All Hallow's Eve card and then we watched it go up in price. It went up to around $60+ but then settled around $30. I just saw it on ebay for $15, still a decent Legends card.

So are we allowed artifacts in our decks or is that considered a color?

Wa said...

Duh. Artifacts are colorless...and the only deck building rules were no more than 4 of any card (except basic land), no banned cards, only 1 of each restricted, and you had to have black in it. I'd say...hmmmm...at least 25-30% black? Monoblack decks would be boring...and of course if SOMEONE wants to try to try and bring a 5 color deck, I'll drop that down to 20%...